Midwest Zen
The Midwest has always suffered from an image problem. It is described as flyover country by people who have flown over it, empty by those who never stopped walking, ordinary by observers who mistake quiet for the absence of depth. I have lived here long enough to know better.
There is a particular kind of stillness that belongs to this region, and it differs from the landscapes that advertise themselves. It lives in long horizons, abandoned rail lines, river fog, weathered barns, neighborhood alleys, floodplains, factory walls overtaken by vines, and conversations where silence often says more than words. If Zen is the practice of paying attention to reality exactly as it is, then the Midwest has been practicing it for generations. No one simply thought to call it that.
My own writing has never tried to escape this geography. If anything, it has spent decades returning to it. Again and again I find myself drawn back to the Rock River, restored prairie, forgotten county roads, industrial edges, Hall Creek cutting through ancient stone, migrating birds, and snow settling onto places where yesterday's arguments no longer matter. Over time I realized I wasn't merely writing about these places. They were shaping the way I looked at the world. The landscape itself had become the discipline.
The haiku arrived naturally because the place was already speaking in brief moments. A bird announcing itself after a diagnosis. Goldenrod reclaiming an abandoned lot without witnesses. Moonlight passing through every knot in an old barn. These moments resist spectacle. They refuse performance. They possess the quiet confidence of things that existed long before anyone thought to photograph them and will remain after we are gone. That, to me, is Midwest Zen.
This has nothing to do with nostalgia, nor is it an attempt to romanticize rural America. The Midwest carries its own burdens: economic decline, forgotten towns, empty storefronts, abandoned factories, difficult winters, and people who quietly continue despite them all. There is a kind of wisdom in that continuation. Not dramatic resilience, but ordinary endurance. It is easy to overlook because it seldom announces itself.
For years my work has moved toward smaller and smaller moments, not because the world became less interesting, but because my attention became more precise. The farther I walked into local landscapes, the less I felt compelled to search for extraordinary experiences somewhere else. The extraordinary had been waiting in familiar places all along. Rockford became enough. Southern Wisconsin became enough. The prairie became enough. A creek became enough. That realization is not provincial. It is liberating.
Much of American literature still assumes significance arrives from somewhere larger, louder, richer, or more famous. Midwest Zen begins from the opposite conviction. If we cannot discover meaning where we actually live, we are unlikely to discover it anywhere else.
Looking back across more than three decades of writing, I can see a pattern that was invisible while I was living it. I have spent much of my life publishing through small presses, documenting overlooked places, writing poems that ask readers to pause instead of accelerating past the ordinary. None of this began as a philosophy. It simply became one through repetition.
The work has always trusted quiet over noise, observation over declaration, presence over performance. Perhaps Midwest Zen is simply the name that pattern has been waiting for—not because I invented it, but because I have spent a lifetime listening for it.
.jpg)

No comments:
Post a Comment