Thursday, May 19, 2016

Dain Sundstedt and the Rockford Poetry Renaissance

Dain Sundstedt is one of the promising younger writers, well younger to me, that are indicative of the cultural Renaissance going on in Rockford.

Sinnissippi
If you look close you can catch a Sinnissipeek

Of a turkey in a tree
Down by the creek

Bands come here to play when it’s warm
But not now when it’s this cold

Sitting in the woods, far below the fold
I listen, write, listen, write
Mother nature speaks if you wait, I am told

Louder than Netflix, all 50 inches
And you can learn a lot more from the finches

This place
This, Place
It’s all outdoors
Always to please and never to bore

Close your eyes, breathe, and be
Sinnissippi

Dust
Can you tell?
There’s dust on the shelves

Dust on the floor
Dust on the door

Dust on the books
Dust in the nooks

Just about everywhere you look

Grown, multiplied, clumped, and smeared
I didn’t ask for it, but it’s here

An indica strain of my laziness
Or time spent doing adventurous things
If I don’t clean it up
my life might do the same

Because a pile of shit grows and grows
if you let it sit for a little bit

My bed doesn’t have any dust on it
Nor does the toilet seat…
I guess that’s a start

I’ll do the rest in the morning

Burnt Toast
No matter which way you slice it,
bread still tastes like bread, and burnt toast still tastes burnt.
You either choose to eat the black, charred, crumbled ash,
or reach for a new slice

This time though, turn the toaster down
Learn from the char
Because we know what happens if you keep the same settings
The taste is too bad to relive

Plus, I hear the grocery down the street has the best new artisan bread in town
So venture out, try it, slather some butter or spread,
whatever your jam

Just be yourself, the toaster will pop when it’s ready

No comments:

Post a Comment