Sunday, May 8, 2016

J Ash Gamble Is a Great Name For An Outlaw Poet, Huh Google?

I like the style of outlaw poet J Ash Gamble because he may not be an outlaw poet at all and his name could be a clever anagram and I also like that he uses the word "rassling" because my youngest brother is a rassling coach and he hates that word and I think it's funny. Now it's likely I'll find an Iron Sheik drawing Jenny did and post it here. 

Quantifying

I cannot count for you
or ring up on a register
or abacus how important
this day is, or the feeling
of a bit of rough skin,
you don't like it but that
simple touch ignites me

---

Rules of Matter

I threaten to float
through the universe
becoming a lighter molecule
or else moving more quickly
to produce heat and become
a fast-approaching solid.

---

Hearth

Here is the home
I promised you and you
promised me, just a little
too late
Here is the man
you wanted me to be
arrived the day after.


Hidden Agenda

It lingers, a serpent, right below
the surface of their words, ready
always to strike out with venom.

---

The Day He Stopped

Damn it, I’m going to stop, he said
and she had heard it before. Watched
him at the sink. Knew his well-rehearsed
lines. She knew when she left it would
be the same old blinking story.

Don't give you mom the claw on Mother's Day. Wait until tomorrow. Illustration by Jenny Mathews.


Rassle

We used to call it rassling
and pinned each other to the floor
never knowing we let each other
win every time.


No comments:

Post a Comment