Thursday, June 5, 2014

Scream and Scream Again For Iced Scream By Jesus Abraham Correa VII

Iced Cream by Jesus Correa
I love books. You do, too. That's why you're here. I started publishing when I was a teenager, using any form of technology I could to get the word out. When I was 18 I had the good fortune of being "discovered" by one of Chicago's most unusual presses, The Press of the Third Mind. I remember writing over half of the poems that would end up in my first book, Concave Buddha and Other Public Dis-Service Announcements in the two weeks before it was published just to lengthen what was a chapbook into a full-length poetry book. It meant the entire world to me that someone thought enough of my work to publish my first book. It still is one of the enduring highlights of my life. 

Twenty-five years later I am in a position to publish the first book of a poet I feel very strongly about. It's really a one-of-a-kind book. I know, because I've been reading it and re-reading it for two years now waiting for the poet to give me final permission to publish it. This Spring, he did. 

I've started a crowd-funding campaign to help me with the costs of this book. I have also taken a summer job working with a landscaper. I have to admit getting my hands in the dirt has been an unexpected joy, and I tell the guy I work with he should be charging people to come out and get a chance to do this work with him. Nonetheless, it's hard work, and I'm tired. So, I'm asking for a little help from the artistic community to make this project happen. 

I enlisted the top professional video producer in town,Tim Stotz to make a fun video for the campaign, and he sure did. I know how worn out everyone is being asked for money all the time, so I wanted to make a project that offered something back even if you don't choose to contribute, and something pretty special if you did. 

Please help me out and Scream For Iced Cream

No comments:

Post a Comment